Lower Gwynned, Pennsylvania, is one of the oldest townships in the county and has quite an interesting history. In the late 1600's, the Quakers settled Gwynedd Township. However, it was separated into Lower and Upper Gwynedd in 1891 with the aid of William Penn's leadership. The word Gwynedd actually comes from the Welsh work "Gwyn Eth" which translates to white fields. Records have shown that when the pilgrims first came to the area from Wales, their new land of Gwynedd was completely covered in snow. Over the years, the township has grown into a beautiful community with roots in culture and tradition. The town prides itself on a wonderful balance between modern living and historic preservation. Additional information about the town's history can be found at http://www.lowergwynedd.org/general-information/history.aspx.
Lower Gwynned has a wonderful variety of parks and recreational activities for residents of Lower Gwynned Pennsylvania homes to enjoy. As a matter of fact, the township contains a variety of parks spanning a total of 92 acres with more than 8.5 miles of trails. Penllyn Woods features various sports fields, walking trails, picnic pavilions, a pond and a boardwalk, and Penllyn Park contains a playground, basketball court and tennis court. Furthermore, the township's Pen Ambler Park offers an amphitheatre, children's playground, a plaza and fountain, and Oxford Park has a softball field, sand volleyball area and a walking trail. Other parks in town include the Veteran's Memorial Park and the John C. Parry Bird Sanctuary. The township also holds various recreational events throughout the year such as fitness classes and art programs. For complete information on the town's recreational opportunities, refer to http://www.lowergwynedd.org/departments-services/parks-recreation.aspx.
The township is home to the Old York Road Country Club, which offers golf outings, practice facilities and a pro shop. The beautiful 18 hole golf course is open throughout the year and contains gorgeous landscaping as well as a combination of water and sand hazards. The Old York Road Country Club can be reached at 215-643-0180 and more information can be found at http://www.oyrcc.com/. The township also has the Stoogeum, a unique museum dedicated entirely to The Three Stooges. The three story building houses over 100,000 artifacts representing The Three Stooges memorabilia from 1918 to the present. The Stoogeum is open every Thursday (except holidays) from 10 AM to 3PM and by appointment. The museum can be reached at (267) 468-0810 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and additional information is available at http://www.stoogeum.com/.
The township holds several events throughout the year for the enjoyment of the owners of Lower Gwynned Real Estate. The annual Countrie Picnic takes place in September which features carnival rides, a scavenger hunt and plenty of great food. The event coincides with the Taste of Lower Gwynedd, where area restaurants are invited to serve small samples of food from their menus. In December, the North Penn Volunteer Fire Company holds their annual Santa Runs where Santa Claus visits the local community streets. Additional information about the township's events is available at http://www.lowergwynedd.org/website-resources/news-events.aspx.